Monday, May 18, 2009

Thing 3: Flickr

Its the next thing from North Texas 23 (that link is mainly for me).

I do have a flickr account, but I haven't updated it in over a year, with most of the photos I put up in 2007. I think that is a little strange. I take pictures all the time with my phone's camera (or I did until I got the iphone--I don't like the camera on it). I have a digital camera that will hold a jillion photos or 10 hours of movie. And to top it all off, I actually intended to minor in photography in college, so I even have a solid pre-digital background in photography. I guess the reason I stopped uploading the photos is because I didn't think anyone wanted to see them. If I do think someone wants to see them, I put them on facebook or myspace. I've uploaded TONS of photos to snapfish, with the sole purpose of getting them printed out at a Walgreens, but in order to share your photos there you have to email each individual person you want to see your photos.

One way that I've used flickr in my professional capacity is finding creative common licensed photos for use on fliers. It is hard to find interesting photos. I know I've seen the same Microsoft clipart on tons of libraries fliers. For instance, when I wanted to do an altered book program, there weren't any photos for that. So I went to flickr and found Teresa Stton, who has let people use her photos as long as they are attributed to her. Anyone interested in this should go to The Creative Commons part of flickr. It is amazing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A great tool to search Creative Commons photos on Flickr is flickrCC.